Canon EOS 6D Gets Firmware Update
Canon has released a firmware update for EOS 6D cameras. The problem addressed by the latest firmware update (version 1.1.2) involves a problem when playing back movies on YouTube that have been recorded with the full-frame DSLR. Once installed, the new firmware should fix the problem when shooting video.
There are some other considerations that involve workarounds from Canon. These are related to the Video Snapshot feature, which will be affected in different ways depending on the firmware you're running on your EOS 6D. Canon explains the two scenarios that might occur along with workarounds to correct the problems.
EOS 6D running Firmware Version 1.0.9
If a video snapshot captured when the camera was running firmware 1.0.9 is combined with a video snapshot created by a camera which was running firmware 1.1.2, the resulting video snapshot album will be corrupted.
EOS 6D running Firmware Version 1.1.2
If you try to add a video snapshot from a camera running firmware 1.1.2 to the video snapshot album created when the camera was running firmware 1.0.9, a warning message “Cannot select this movie” will appear and the video snapshot cannot be added to the album.
Canon recommends the following workaround to address the two scenarios described above.
- Shoot a video snapshot and create a video snapshot album.
- Import the captured video snapshot album to your computer.
- Start ImageBrowser EX, an application bundled with the EOS 6D.
- Select the video snapshot album, and select [Edit Movie] in the [Edit] tab.
- MovieEdit Task will start.
- Select [Add Image] and select video snapshot album to add the movie snapshot.
- Select [Save] and [Save image type], and then click [Save].
- Firmware Version 1.1.2 is for cameras with firmware version 1.0.9. If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.1.2, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
The Canon EOS 6D is touted as the world's lightest DSLR to feature a full-frame CMOS sensor. The 6D employs an 11-point autofocus system, and is powered by a DIGIC 5+ image processor. The 6D is also Canon's first EOS model to include GPS and Wi-Fi, for location tagging or importing photos to other devices. Canon offers the EOS 6D full-frame DSLR for a retail price of $2099.Tag: Canon EOS 6D, Firmware Updates, News